Plastics can be prone to streaking, extrusion breakout and surface defects if microscopic amounts of moisture are present during the production process. This moisture is an almost unavoidable contamination problem, and it can be severe, compromising the integrity and aesthetics of the plastics and, therefore, the final product.
How does moisture occur and is there a solution?
Plastic and polymer products contain fillers which contain moisture, and recycled plastics take on moisture during the washing stages of the recycling process.
Hygroscopic polymers such as Nylon, ABS, PET, PBT, polyurethane and polycarbonate will absorb moisture from the air or during recycling. They can even absorb moisture in storage or when moving raw materials between storage and the moulding machine.
To combat this, many manufacturers use both financially and carbon expensive drying methods. However, there is another way, Masterox is the world’s leading product for moisture control in plastic, it is more efficient, practical and cost-effective.
What is Masterox and what does it do?
Years of research has resulted in the development of Masterox, which is a desiccant designed to chemically bind moisture during the manufacturing process. The unique formula eliminates the effects of moisture in plastic, Nylon, ABS, PET, PBT, polyurethane and polycarbonate. Resulting in perfect quality with no visible specks, voids or lumps in the final product thanks to industry-leading performance and consistency – and, once you’ve used it, you’ll find that Masterox becomes a significant weapon in your arsenal!
It empowers you to improve quality and enhance production output. Created, produced and refined on-site for unbeatable performance and consistency, Masterox has been proven to outperform alternatives in reducing quality failures and improving product performance as well as increasing production output levels – and reducing energy costs associated with drying.
Are there different types of Masterox for different uses?
Yes, there are. Because Birch Chemicals understands the needs of different industries and production processes, we have developed a series of Masterox products to meet all needs.
- Masterox R Masterbatch – PE bound calcium oxide for easy addition during the extrusion process, can be used in most cases for extruded or moulded plastics
- Masterox R Premium Masterbatch – Very fine particle size PE bound calcium oxide for easy addition during the extrusion process, mainly used in thin film plastics, coated fabrics for car seats, fascias and door trim etc
- Masterox 10: A very fine particle size calcium oxide powder used in thin film plastics, coated fabrics for car seats, fascias and door trim etc.
- Masterox P: very fine particle size calcium oxide powder bound with plasticiser oil and is used in thin film plastics, coated fabrics for car seats, fascias and door trim etc
- Masterox 90: fine particle size calcium oxide powder, used in extruded or moulded plastics and plastic Masterbatch.
Efficiency and expertise
All Birch Chemical products are developed and produced on-site by our team, which invests considerable expertise into finding highly effective, industry-leading solutions – including Masterox. Masterox is available immediately through our worldwide network, so your production timetable can keep ticking over as with all our other products.